Friday, May 3, 2013

A Bump in the Lightweight Road

Phoebus Stove. Not just for camping.
Last summer I used an Esbit stove on a weeklong trip through the Wind Rivers. The Esbit Folding Stove is a tiny piece of titanium weighing about 0.4 oz, just big enough to hold the fuel tablet with your pot or mug balanced on top. It brought to boil a 16oz cup of water in short time and seemed so simple, whisper quiet, though a bit smelly and sticky. I brought this along as an experiment, to see if I’d like using something so light and simple for warm-weather trips. I looked over at at my Jetboil original model with a rumpled look of dissatisfaction. About 1 lb in weight, it’s far heavier than the Ebsit, somewhat loud, yet extremely effective at what I need in a stove, boiling water. I wondered if I could lessen my load with a ultra-light stove like the Esbit, or even better, make my own stove. The Jetboil works just fine, no fuss, no mess, but it’s size & weight started to gnaw at me. 

After all, each trip I take is an evolution of my gear weight-loss program. I’ve been consciously dialing down my pack weight ever since I volunteered to take part in a lightweight gear article in a magazine published by the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) back in 2008. For the article I was told to pack for a hypothetical, 4 day backpacking trip with friends in New England during the month of June. Several days later I arrived at the AMC Trails Dept. building in Pinkham Notch NH, where an AMC Staffer and past thru hiker of the AT and PCT meticulously unpacked, weighed and carefully scrutinized everything I packed. I certainly didn’t walk away unscathed and neither did the newbie hiker-author. Some of my gear was heavy, redundant, or simply unnecessary. In the end, my base weight added up to a whopping 30 lbs, which is nearly the same as my total weight for the Wind River week-long trip!


I learned a lot from that experiment, and over time, have reduced my 3-season baseweight to approximately 12 lbs with lighter, high-quality gear. Much of it is USA-made and sold by cottage industry retailers, such as Gossamer Gear (Kumo and Mariposa backpacks), Western Mountaineering (32˚F Summerlight sleeping bag) Black Rock Gear (down hat) and Tarptent (Moment DW tent). The one item that, until recently, remained fairly heavy had been my stove. 

When I first starting backpacking in high-school, I didn’t own a backpacking stove. I didn’t own any backpacking gear. On my first weekend trip, I borrowed an ill-fitting external frame pack and an curious, Austrian stove, proudly emblazoned “Phoebus”. It came in a bright red metal can, about 8” in diameter, advertising itself useful for “Camping, Fishing, Climbing and Driving”. Driving?! This got many laughs from my friend and I as we happily stuffed it into our packs and hiked into the White Mountains of NH. We would pump it full of pressure, wait for it to prime and listen to it roar away as a boil was achieved. It always worked when called for, and though a bit cumbersome, we came to love the Phoebus, often yelling out “Phoeeeeeeebus!!” on the trail for no reason other than we thought ourselves funny. I’m not sure of the weight, but I’d guess it was about 2-3 lbs without fuel. At the end of the summer I handed the backpack and stove over to the owner and proudly bought my own gear, much of it thrice replaced by now.


In that time, I’ve used a Whisperlight, a Primus, a JetBoil and a Snowpeak GigaPower-- all a bit lighter than the next. The Esbit was my first attempt at something ultra-light and did the trick.  After the Winds trip I continued to use the Esbit on fall weekend trips, but the fuel tablet’s smell of rotten fish, and the sticky brown residue on the bottom of my mug had me looking for other options.

So it wasn’t until this April that I dove deep into the lightweight channels of the interwebs looking up various types of alcohol stoves, boil times and kevlar wicks. Within a few days I was surrounded by a myriad of stove making supplies, hailing from a diverse range of retail locations, including an online fire performance equipment provider, REI, Ace Hardware and PetSmart. Finally one evening I sat down to make myself an alcohol stove, the Super Cat by Jim Wood. I figured this would be best model for me, as it was one of the simplest types I could make, with an amazingly detailed website. If I screwed up, I had only myself to blame. For an hour or more I read the instructions, and using my 1/4 in hole puncher, carefully made a tiny little alcohol stove, light as a feather. I tested it outdoors the next morning with great excitement, hiding myself and the stove behind a uprighted table, out of the shifting winds to get the best possible results. After several tests I stood puzzled with the same problem each time: no boil. Even though it was filled with alcohol as directed, the stove wasn’t able to run long enough to boil 2 cups of water. I had to refill it, light it again, and wait another 30-40 seconds before the water would boil. Was it the wind, the stove, or the outdoor or water temperature? After various adjustments to the windscreen and water temperatures, I still couldn’t get a boil without refilling.

After my failure, I sat distraught but still hopeful, thinking through what I liked and what I didn’t about the new stove. The overall system was lighter, but not as much as I had hoped. As I did the math, I realized I was a water hog compared to other cat stove users. I’d need 1 oz of fuel per boil and would need about 3 boils for all the soup, tea and re-hydrating I prefer each day. This meant I’d be hoofing around a lot of liquid fuel, especially for week-long trips. During testing, I found the fuel noxious when burned and easy to spill, leaving me sick to my stomach later that night. I also knocked the stove over while lit, which may have been disastrous if it wasn’t done on a cement patio and quickly righted. I did just about everything wrong one could do using this stove!

The alcohol stove was supposed to be my answer to simplicity on the trail, no fuss, no mess, something really light that worked. Everything I was trying to achieve had failed in grand form and suddenly I thought... maybe a Jetboil isn’t such a burden? I know a few hikers who love their alcohol stoves and have no problems what so ever. Even if my stove worked, would carrying the liquid, not seeing the flame and inhaling the fumes be worth it? Maybe it was a stove making error that caused the failure, but in the end I realized we all have a lightweight line we won’t cross. Some would rather carry a heavy, yet roomy tent than save weight and comfort on a tarp, losing their 4-wall-and-a-floor coverage. For me, I'd rather carry a 1lb, high-powered, no-fuss stove than fumble with liquid fuel and fumes. Or maybe an upgrade is what’s in order... there’s still there’s a few Phoebus’s kicking around online:) 


21 comments:

  1. How about a light weight wood burner like the bush buddy? http://bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html
    I tried a few wood burners and liked this one best. Can boil 1 liter of water in 8-10 minutes
    Weight 5.1 ounces. just my 2 cents. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I've read about wood burners online but yet to see them in use - they seem like a great solution in areas with plenty of dry tinder around. I live in New England, where we are currently getting doused with a tropical storm and several inches of rain. Its pretty common that we hike and camp on wet or damp ground, and bringing a rainfly (or tarp of you're tentless) is paramount to keeping dry. Have you tried using it in damp, wet regions?

      Delete
    2. I really cannot say enough good things about the emberlit stoves:
      http://emberlit.com/

      The mini titanium one weighs in at 4.5 oz, works splendidly in wind and rain, boils water in no time, requires you to carry zero fuel, and you get that lovely campfire smell. All good.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, it doesn't sound as if anything I say will alter your mind, but I have an 11g alcohol stove which I love. It boils 1pt water on 15ml of alcohol. It's easy to light and impossible to tip over.

    I think something is awry with your calculations above, and you might like to try again some time with a proper stove, rather than give up on the whole genre, as it were.. they aren't expensive, and maybe a friend has one you could try? For a week's trip my setup weighs about 1/2lb including windshield and ti pot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry - I'm still able to be swayed! Alcohol stoves may not work out as my final conclusion, but I am going to try out a bake/fry pan this summer, and my boyfriend uses his alcohol stove, the soda can type, with great results (though he does admit the fumes can be a bit noxious for him too). I'm happy to hear people have had good success with alcohol stoves - the TD Sidewinder looks like a nice solution too.

      Delete
    2. I've never had a problem with fumes from my alcohol fuel. Maybe it's the type you're using? I typically use HEET or Everclear (drinkable alcohol). Isopropyl alcohol blackens my pot...really dirty fuel source.

      Delete
  3. I also used esbit for the first time last year on my 2 week Sierra trip in an effort to reduce some weight.
    Long story short, I arrived at the very same conclusions that you did. I've used an alcohol stove, and like you, had so-so results. That, coupled with the danger of spills, carrying fuel, and an invisible flame, led me back to my Snowpeak.
    I'm still working on reducing my cooking weight and think it's time for me to try going stoveless. I will carry my snowpeak this season, but will be a "Soaker" next year.
    Thanks for the article.
    Papa Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I would agree that stove is not for everyone.

      Question for you, do you just use a homemade windscreen with your Snowpeak, or something you bought? I like to bring the Snowpeak with a pot if I think I'm going to really cook something for dinner - which I'm trying to do more on backpacks.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I have a virgin UL Ti esbit stove and Ti pot w/lid just like yours maybe same one from BPL years ago. Been going stoveless the ultimate no hassle hike but now I'll try the little guy with Ti Sierra cup which I take anyway but for boiling water only no pot scrubbing ever. Got a few of those oh so pricy Packit Gourmet meals in transit and some need hot water. That and TJ'S Instant miso soup just NG cold.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What ya think about the cheap very thin alum foil on pot or metal cup to keep esbit gunk off? Heck I'll do a test boil soon as I find the rig in back of gear cabinet.

      Delete
    2. Would be interested to hear how that works, Todd!

      Delete
  5. I switched to the Esbit a year ago and it's one of my favorite pieces of ultralight gear. I've spent probably 40 days with it since, including a thru hike of the JMT.

    Sure, it smells a little funny, but it's not like i'm hovering over the thing while it's cooking slurping up all the fumes.

    Regarding the stickiness on the pot, it amazes me how many people complain about this as the reason for bailing on the esbit. As soon as you're done boiling the water, take you empty pot and just rub the base of it in the soil/sand for 5 seconds. The residue will come right off (when it's still warm, takes more work if you let it cool) and your pot will be good as new.

    My titanium esbit stand (11g) plus 7 nights of fuel (i use 1/2 tablet per meal in the summer months) weighs a whopping 4oz. Why anyone would want to haul around a clunky 16oz jetboil is beyond me! But to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly agree to "each their own" Spencer. I don't smell the Esbit tablets while boiling at all, only when I save and store the half-used tablets - the smell is like a very strong, rotten-fish odor, and I'm not a big fan of that. Trying to keep that smell from items & food in my pack becomes a challenge too. The sticky stuff can be easily cleaned off while warm as you say, but it's the smell, more than the sticky-stuff, that's the reason I continue to look for a better solution.

      Delete
  6. I think you just didn't try the best alcohol stove. Try the Caldera Keg or Sidewinder from Trail Designs, or the FlatCat or the Starlyte alcohol stoves. I personally love the Trail Designs kit, as it is really stable and pretty efficient--I hiked the Wonderland Trail with only 2 8 ounce bottles of fuel used, and not even all of those. We always make hot breakfast with coffee and tea, and boil water for dinner, sometimes with hot chocolate afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1 for the Caldera system. I bought the aluminum cone for my Snow Peak 900. The package includes a 12-10 alcohol stove, Caldera Cone, fuel bottle, measuring cup...all fits inside my pot, if I use the mesh bag to keep the lid on (maybe a 1" gap between the lid and pot). For $35, it's the cheapest stove system you can buy.

      The Caldera Cone doubles as a windscreen and a pot stand. If you're going to use an alcohol stove, this is probably both the most cost-effective, weight and fuel efficient method to do it. I can't recommend it enough.

      I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Sidewinder package, though. There's nothing wrong with it, but you probably have a decent pot already. The Sidewinder is a wider pot, though. Pots that are wider, rather than taller (I call the taller ones "mug style"), are more efficient regarding fuel. It's not specific to the Sidewinder, applies to any pot.

      The Snow Peak 900 is has one of greatest diameter-to-volume ratios, making it one of the most efficient "mug style" pots.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the Caldera review Jerry. I looked very close at that and nearby bought it before thinking that building my own alcohol stove would be fun to try.)= I've been eyeing the Snowpeak 900 pot as an upgrade to my current pot, I have the 600 mug and love it, so all this info is much appreciated!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your note dipink. I would like to try the Sidewinder sometime - I nearly bought it myself until the curiosity of making my own stove won me over. I'm still quite open to trying new stoves, and maybe pre-made is best for me - I was just thinking how satisfying it would be to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used a Caldera Cone for several years - hiking the JMT and segments of the PCT and many trips in The Grand Canyon. It's not the stove, it's the cone that makes this unit efficient. Yes, make your own. I have the plans for stove and cone here:

    (Ignore the stuff about the cat can stove - this experiment was a bust, because of poor cone)

    http://wildernessvagabond.com/personal/personal.htm#cat%20stove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WV, I was tempted to get the CCone + stove set but couldn't resist trying to make a stove and cone-like windscreen myself. It does seem like a good setup if you're going to go the alcohol stove route.

      Delete
  9. Not all alcohol stoves are the same. Although many of the designs are easy to make, they have to be made within a certain tolerance to work efficiently and they won't work well in the cold if they are not designed for the cold.

    After much experimenting with making my own and stoves manufactured by others, I find that my Zelph designed "Super Stove" stove lights in below freezing temps, is very efficient and doesn't spill when knocked over.

    He basically fixed most of the negatives with alcohol stoves be redesigning his stoves and doing extensive testing.
    You can make them yourself or have him make you one.

    There are other alcohol stoves that offer these features, but I haven't tried any that I can recommend yet.

    ReplyDelete